Saturday, January 5, 2013

Races: Frosty Bottom 50/25 2013 Anchorage, Alaska

Today I was questioning my sanity. I decided to do the Frosty Bottom 50/25 in Anchorage two months ago, and today was race day. The temperature at about 30 degrees Fahrenheit wasn't nearly as cold as I wanted it to be. I've found through my past couple months of training that the colder it is, the more I don't want to stop for a break. So the 30 degrees was a disappointment in a way. The race started at the Kincaid Chalet, ended at Hilltop Ski Area and you could bike, ski or run 25 or 50 miles. I enjoyed my moment of glory when I realized I had finished in 4 hours and 20 minutes, but then quickly remembered that there were people even crazier than me who were turning around and running another 25 miles back to Kincaid! So while I would love to brag about finishing in 4 hours and 11 minutes, when I expected to finish in 5 hours or more, I think the real credit should be given to the people who ran 50 miles today. Bravo!

Luckily, I was able to wear headphones, well they were earmuffs that doubled as headphones, which was an awesome Christmas present from my brother a few years back. They saved me from concentrating on the cold and the pain, and came in very handy. I was able to time myself this way also. I had about four 1-1 1/2 mixes, so I just thought of the race in increments of mixes. As silly as that sounds, I think it made time go by much faster. I also tried to run and synchronize my breathing to the beat. Don't laugh! I think it worked!! I also found myself overdressed and wanting to shed layers, I could have done without a few things, but in the end I guess it may have been better to be overdressed than under dressed.

This was the farthest run I have ever done. I was told that the last five miles are all mental anyway, so before the race my longest run was 18 miles, so that was my first time running 25 miles, and while my sore body is telling me I'm crazy I'm very glad I did it and finished!!!

Before
During
After
I even had a fan

No comments:

Post a Comment