Sunday, January 13, 2013

Alyeska


Somehow on this warm weekend we ended up at Alyeska for the day to make an attempt at snowboarding. In my 25 years here in Alaska I am ashamed to say that this was my first "real" attempt at snowboarding. Don't judge me, I'm a "sit on your butt and sled down the hill" kind of girl......well until this weekend.

I thought with the weather being not that great that it would be fairly empty, but to my surprise a lot of people had the same idea I guess, or either they were all die hard skiers and snowboarders, which is also probably not too far fetched. We rented gear (helmets, snowboards, boots) from Alyeska, which after all was said and done may have been a better idea to use Sports Authority, seeing as we spent a good amount of money on the gear through Alyeska. Which their gear was not bad, just maybe overpriced, but I guess I won't know until I rent from Sports Authority. 

Either way, my first "real" snowboarding experience was a success! I made it all the way down the beginner hill by the end of my day (3:00 PM) while carving and not falling!!! I feel accomplished, mainly because I, and everyone snowboarding around me, made it through the day with all of their limbs in place. Yay me!

January - Alyeska - Girdwood - Alaska  - Snow - And...

 -  Rain - Wait? Rain? In January?  Yes. True story.

Floating???

Hi, which way is the Develop Mad Skills Class? Oh, that way? Thanks!

Wayne and some of the snow that hadn't had it's chance to melt and soak his gear yet.


And this was with poor conditions, I don't know if I wanna see this place on a good condition day.

I have proof.

Who says you can't use the tripod in the car?

Brunch from the cafe below the Sitzmark!! I highly recommend their BLT and Omelette!  MMmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment